Swim Instructor Certification
Completing PP&R Swim Instructor Training Program is your first step in becoming a PP&R Swim Instructor. The training program is 24 hours in length and teaches motor learning theory as well as practical methods for teaching swimming and a wide variety of water skills. Course includes classroom training, water training, and co-teaching swim lessons with a mentor swim instructor. Certification is valid for 2 years. A 4-hour re-certification class is also offered.
Participants that pass the course will be certified as a Level 1 or Level 2 Swim Instructor. Level 1 instructors are able to teach Goldfish through Polar Bear swim levels. Level 2 instructors are able to teach Goldfish through Park Shark swim levels, including adult swim lessons.
- Must be a strong swimmer
- Must be able to demonstrate good form and technique for 25 yards of the following:
- Front crawl with side breathing
- Back crawl
- Elementary Backstroke
- Must be 15 years of age by the first day of class
- Must demonstrate a mature attitude
- This course is only for swim instructor candidates who will be applying to work for Portland Parks & Recreation
ALL Portland Parks & Recreation Swim Instructors must hold a current First Aid/CPR Certification
Bring to the first day of class
- Swim suit and towel
- Writing utensil
- Snack or sack lunch – lunch breaks will be provided
Payment in full is required to register for the class. Class size is limited to 24 students. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Course text will be distributed on the first day of class. Check the current class schedule for cost, dates, and locations.