Completing the Jeff Ellis and Associates International Lifeguard Training program is your first step in becoming a PP&R lifeguard. The purpose of the program is to train, educate, and test an individual’s ability to be a professional lifeguard. There are two ways to participate. One option is the traditional class which is approximately 32 hours in length and takes 4 days to complete. The other option is to complete an online program on one’s own, as well as attending 24 hours of class that takes 3 days to complete. Both options include Lifeguard Training, Professional Rescuer CPR, AED, Oxygen Administration, and Emergency First Aid Training.
Learning and testing elements include:
- Lifeguard Accountability and Professionalism
- Awareness and Recognition of a Guest in Distress
- Reacting to an Emergency
- Rule Enforcement and Guest Relations
- Rescue Skills
- CPR, AED, Supplemental Oxygen Support and Emergency care
- Spinal Injury Management
- Injuries and Medical Emergencies
When you successfully complete the Jeff Ellis and Associates International Lifeguard Training Program, you will be licensed as a Pool Lifeguard with Professional Rescuer/AED/Oxygen Administration/Emergency First Aid Training. Pool lifeguards may protect aquatic facility swimming areas with water depths not exceeding 16 feet. A Jeff Ellis and Associates International Lifeguard license is valid for one year.
- Must be 15 years old.
- Must be able to swim 200 yards using front crawl or breaststroke without resting on the first day of class.
- Must be able to do a Feet-first surface dive and recover a 10 pound brick at 9 feet of water on the first day of class.
- Must be able to tread water with arms up for 2 minutes on the first day of class
- Must demonstrate a mature attitude.
- This course is only for lifeguard candidates who will be applying to work at an Ellis & Associates client facility.
Payment is required in order to register for the class. If you have registered for the traditional lifeguard class, you need to go to one of the pools to pick up a lifeguard packet. You must complete the Review Document before the first day of class. If you have registered for the online program, you need to contact Andy Amato at 503-823-2852 to receive the website address and personalized code to access the program.
If a participant is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign a parent/guardian consent form before the last day of class.
Class size is limited to 32 students. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. If you have any questions, please call 503-823-5130. Check the current class schedule for cost, dates, and locations.